Thursday, August 5, 2010

A little blue lie

I recently received a phone call from a former client who found out there was a warrant for his arrest. He said the officer had called his house and wanted to talk to him about some alleged crime. He asked me what he should do.

After telling him to keep his mouth shut I told him to call a bondsman and get a non-arrest bond and that once he had posted the bond to turn himself in at the jail so they could walk him through. About an hour later he called me to say that the police officer told him that he couldn't post a non-arrest bond and that he would have to turn himself in and wait to see the judge.

I told him the officer was full of shit and was lying to him. He seemed stunned to think such a thing.

To make a long story short, he posted the non-arrest bond, turned himself in and walked out of the jail about two hours later.

My colleague out in Fresno, Rick Horowitz, laments in his latest opus that our legal system is broken and wonders why we even bother to get out of bed some days. Yes, Rick, the system is broken - and it's been broken for quite some time. Everyone knows when a police officer is lying on the stand -- that's what they're trained to do; anything to get the arrest or the conviction.

Why else would our friendly neighborhood officer lie through his teeth to my client about the non-arrest bond?

No comments: